Friday, October 14, 2011

Miku Sushi - Vancouver


When in Vancouver, one must eat sushi. It is simply fresher and cheaper than sushi elsewhere in Canada. But when travelling with a parental unit, one must eat fancy, expensive sushi. My dad and I researched a few places and decided on Miku Sushi in Gastown, since it was close to our hotel. Also, it really isn't all that expensive... $17 for 8 pieces of sushi might seem expensive, but when you consider the quality, freshness, novelty and craftmanship of the sushi at Miku, it kind of seems like a steal. Reservations are necessary if you want to dine at the peak of lunch hour. The restaurant was packed, and loud. The staff in the open kitchen were busy and yelling and basically contributing to a dynamic eating experience. 


Pictured above is my Aburi Select platter. Miku specializes in aburi sushi, which is sushi that gets a little lick from a blow torch. They also specialize in oshi sushi, which is pressed into a rectangular shape. I found these variations a delightful departure from the norm. The other mind blowing thing was that Miku didn't serve its sushi with soy sauce and wasabi. Nope. Each piece of sushi is garnished with its own special sauce and/or accompaniment.


I also ordered the aburi sashimi ($23) to share with my dad. I was sold when the server informed me that the chef's selection of the day for the aburi sashimi was ahi tuna, hamachi (yellowtail) and atlantic salmon. Those are my three favorite types of sashimi. Sometimes I battle over whether I prefer red or white tuna, but atlantic salmon is a winner hands down over pacific. If you haven't had hamachi, you really have to...
Hamachi = Awesome
As you can see, the sashimi is lightly seared with a torch. The portions are sizeable, and each selection has its own accompanying garnish. Just to be different, my dad's friend ordered this "chirashi tart" ($19) which had layers of seafood in it. A very strange item indeed.


Our meals came with miso soup included in the price, which was served with our meals. We were informed that it was considered a palate cleanser as opposed to an appetizer. Fine with me! I'll take miso soup however you want to give it to me. No spoon? Sure. We gladly slurped it from the bowls. 

I should also mention that my post-dinner Americano was one of the best I've had. You don't expect good coffee at a sushi restaurant, but this isn't exactly your run-of-the-mill sushi joint. 

I'm not going to pretend that I am the authority on all things sushi. But I do eat sushi regularly, and I do like to try out different places quite often. I am not exaggerating when I say this was the best sushi I've ever had. I can't wait to go back to Vancouver to try out some other higher end sushi places so I can see how they compare. But this was just awesome.


Miku 
#2, 1055 West Hastings Street (Guiness Tower)
Vancouver BC
604-568-3900

No comments:

Post a Comment